Hi everyone! We want these classes to be welcoming and safe for everyone involved. Here’s some guidelines to follow to make sure that everyone feels welcomed, included and safe. By attending the class, you agree to these conditions.
- The obvious starting point is that abusive and threatening language and slurs (e.g. ableist, racist, anti-semitic, islamaphobic, misogynist, homophobic and transphobic slurs) will not be tolerated. This is a zero-tolerance policy. Anyone found in breach of it will be removed from the zoom class and will not be welcome to participate in any future aspect of the course.
- This is a queer friendly space. We expect everyone participating to use others’ preferred pronouns and respect their gender identity.
- This class is welcoming to people of all ethnicities, races and religions and as such, we don’t accept any racist language or any attacks on religions, people groups or countries in the chat or in the class. Any attempt to target an individual based on their ethnicity, racial identity or religion will not be tolerated.
- If you are presenting or participating in the chat, please try to use content warnings. I will do better at this myself. As we’re talking about the Gothic, there are many topics which can arise which may be difficult, uncomfortable or triggering for certain participants – please try to provide warnings when your work contains this material so that people can make informed decisions. Content warnings are not a form of censorship – they are a way of enabling discussion by providing clear information about what that discussion may cover.
- Please be aware of the effect your language has on others in the group. It’s easy to make comments which are disparaging against characters or self-denigrating which are hurtful to others in the group especially based on appearance, physical ability, mental illness or gender. Be thoughtful, be kind. To yourself and others. Be aware of the discourses your language buys into and how it may have harmed people around you and you as well. We all slip up – let’s do the best we can, listen to feedback and grow together.
If you have any problems, you can DM me @RomGothSam or contact me here.
Everyone is Welcome
That means that we want to make accommodations for as many people as possible to facilitate you accessing the material and joining in. For a lot of people, especially now, zoom calls, online groups, appearing on camera and participating can be too much – you are ALWAYS welcome to come and lurk – camera off, mic off – and participate only as much or as little as you like.
If you need any accommodations, please contact me using the Contact page here and I will get in touch.